Monday, August 30, 2010

Ask Your Instructor: SQL Server FAQ's Part I


Got SQL Server questions? I love them! Even when I don’t have the answer right then!

I recently delivered a class on “Maintaining a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Database” and I promised my students that I would capture their ad-hoc questions (and even some answers) in a document and, thinking that it was possible that someone else out in the web ether might have had the same question, decided to share them.

So here they are in all their glory. Enjoy!

1) Is there any reason to use Binary Collation?
It is the fastest. More on collations at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143515(v=SQL.90).aspx

2) Can you backup and restore an entire instance?
Not in the same way as a database, no, BUT, you can right-click on the instance, choose Facets, and “Export Current State as Policy” and use this exported data with Policy Based Management to apply against another instance or even multiple instances.

3) Is sqlcmd -A (dedicated administrator connection) for the local host only? No, you can connect to a remote server using: sqlcmd –A –S ServerName

4) Where can I get a list of torn pages?
(USE msdb) SELECT * FROM suspect_pages

5) Are Windows credentials cached in a SQL Server session?
Yes, until the connection is ended

6) Where can I get a list of certificates in SQL Server?
SELECT * FROM sys.certificates

7) Is there an issue with resolving conflicting Identity columns in HTTP merge replication?
Identity columns cannot be ADDED to a publication (GUID’s are used for uniqueness) but they can be used if different values are used in the publication and each subscriber http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms152543.aspx


The questions I get from students keep these courses interesting for me and I would love to hear your questions through this blog or in my class. After all, as a long time veteran Microsoft employee told me a few years ago, “After 10 years of work on Microsoft products with a dozen certifications, you can only attain about 1% knowledge of the Microsoft technologies.”

Ok, I gotta go hit the books. My next class is probably going to ask about the other 99%... again. Stay tuned for Part II of this post!


- Peter Trast, SQL Expert; MCITP DBA, MCITP EA, MCT
LinkIn with Peter


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment