Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ask Your Instructor: SQL Server FAQ's Part II


Got SQL Server questions? I love them! Even when I don’t have the answer right then!

I recently delivered a class on “Maintaining a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Database” and I promised my students that I would capture their ad-hoc questions (and even some answers) in a document and, thinking that it was possible that someone else out in the web ether might have had the same question, decided to share them.

So here they are in all their glory. Enjoy!

8) Can you have multiple replication types going INTO one database?

Yes, but you must manage objname collisions manually.

9) Can you replicate from a mirror? 

Sort of… http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms151799.aspx  My understanding of the question is can you replicate from the database that is the CURRENT mirror. So far all of my tests have proven to me that I cannot, (but I am sure someone out there is up to the challenge). Never say it can’t be done unless you can prove it!

10) Does the restore of a database require re-initializing of a publication? 

Yes, if you want to move all copies of the data BACK to the restore point. Otherwise use synchronization to bring the restored database up to date with the subscribers.

11) Will changing the root of my IIS installation break Reporting Services?

No, IIS is handling the connection to the root of the web service so Reporting Services will simply be redirected to the new location.

12) Can you use SQL Server Express Edition as a WITNESS in a Mirror? 

Yes, you can use Express, Workgroup, Standard or Enterprise (SQL Server 2005 and later) as a WITNESS, although the Mirror and Principal can only be created on Standard and Enterprise. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175191.aspx

13) What is the heartbeat setting of a Mirror and can I change it?

The default time is 10 seconds but it can be modified using this statement on the Principal: ALTER DATABASE SET PARTNER TIMEOUT 

14) Can I run the SQL Server 2008 Profiler on SQL Server 2000? 

Yes

The questions I get from students keep these courses interesting for me and I would love to hear your questions through this blog or in my class. After all, as a long time veteran Microsoft employee told me a few years ago, “After 10 years of work on Microsoft products with a dozen certifications, you can only attain about 1% knowledge of the Microsoft technologies.”

Ok, I gotta go hit the books. My next class is probably going to ask about the other 99%... again. Stay tuned for Part II of this post!


- Peter Trast, SQL Expert; MCITP DBA, MCITP EA, MCT
LinkIn with Peter


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment